285 Hereford Street
Ph. 03 365 8720
Mon- Friday 8am -5pm
YWCA Christchurch - Emergency and Transitional Accommodation
The YWCA Christchurch is a part of a national and global mission to empower and support women. Here in Christchurch we offer emergency and transitional accommodation for women and women with children.
We are here to support you if you are in need of a place to stay. You don’t need a booking to come and stay with us, so just give us a call between 8am-5pm and we’ll sort you out.
About staying with us:
- Our rooms are fully furnished
- We provide you with linen and there is no charge for using our telephone, internet or power (tokens are needed to use the clothes dryer).
- We have a common lounge for visitors and Whanau
- You can bring your children with you to stay (boys must be under 12 years of age)
What you need to know:
- An interview is required in order to stay with us. It’s also important to note that we have a zero tolerance policy towards non-prescription drugs, alcohol and abusive behaviour
- You will need to pay some rent each week and this is usually paid one week in advance
- You will need to provide your own food
How we support you when you are staying with us:
- We can assist you to apply to HNZ, CCC and private rental options to get long-term and permanent accommodation
- We have on-site counselling
- We love to have shared meals on special occasions
- As well as our common lounge, we also have teaching and meeting rooms. It’s here that we hold workshops for women staying with us
Y’s Options is a programme available to the women who stay with us. This programme involves mentoring, up skilling, sharing skills, tutoring and peer teaching.
With lots of new friendships and supports, those who have experienced stressful and difficult times have found this to be an encouraging and comforting experience.
In our programme we have a breakfast and school lunch club, which is overseen by the mothers in our residence. Once the children are off to school or preschool, the day follows with sessions for our residents who can opt into the workshops offered. For example, we offer budgeting, menu planning, food preparation, sewing, mending and craft projects. We even have a walking group which is a big hit in the summer! Alongside this, we aim to tailor our workshops to suit the needs of the women in our residence.
After school the children’s homework group meets for afternoon tea and it is here that children and mums catch up and complete set homework. We have a tutor onsite to supervise and she encourages mums to take part in the supervision and completion of homework, as well as the games, craft projects and computer time on offer.
Interested in being a YWCA volunteer?
We are currently looking for volunteers who are interested in being a part of the YWCA Christchurch. As you can see above, we offer lots of wonderful opportunities for the women and children in our residence.
In order for us to continue doing what we do, we need volunteer assistance. Our volunteers may be a mentor, a workshop facilitator, assist with our onsite holiday programmes or even help with the maintenance of our grounds.
If you are interested in being a volunteer, fill out the ‘contact us’ form to the left. We’d love to hear from you!