Workplace Workshops and Events
Gender at Work
We pioneered and ran the YWCA Equal Pay Awards from 2014 to 2019. We are currently updating the concept to better suit today's world. In mid-2020, we will be launching a new series of workshops and events which we are really excited about.
After six years of running the Equal Pay Awards, we took the time to review their impact as we enter 2020. After collecting feedback from all those involved, we have made the decision to retire the current recognition format and leverage our reputation and relationships to create more impact on gender equity in the workplace.
The main reasons for changing what we are doing are:
- Gender equity is about much more than equal pay. We want to share and celebrate all the areas that can be improved to reach gender equity (eg parental leave, women in leadership, flexible work) as well as equal pay.
- We want to support organisations to make as much change as possible. Feedback on the awards was that people loved hearing who was doing great things, but they wanted to hear more detail so they were able to take the ideas and try them in their organisations.
- The market is saturated with awards, so organisations are finding it hard to decide which to enter, which also makes it harder for us to get people to enter our awards.
- Building relationships and community helps to create change. Holding regular events rather than just one per year will do this.
Our plan is to bring GenderTick and the Equal Pay Awards community together and create a Gender at Work event series.
These events will continue to recognise excellence but additionally will create a community that regularly convenes to share and learn from an organisation’s wins and misses in advancing gender equity.
The events will each have a specific theme eg flexibility, pay, transition support, abuse etc and will:
- be warm and interactive to encourage relationship building,
- include technical specialists as well as hands-on practitioners
- include food – vital for all community building
- provide practical tools and tips, and
- be accessible to encourage diversity.
There will be six events per year, with the first pencilled in for 19 June, and then every two months. While Auckland is our initial focus, we hope to expand the series to include Wellington and Christchurch in 2021.
Show employees that you are committed to gender equity with the GenderTick™
Join us alongside organisations such as Air New Zealand, Lion, Yellow, Genesis Energy and many more. Show that you have the industry best policy for gender equity in place and create a better workplace for us all.