We are committed to empowering young women
within the wider community of women
to make positive choices in order to affect social change.
The YWCA was separately incorporated from the YMCA in Hamilton on 16 May 1943. We have owned our property on the corner of Clarence and Pembroke Streets, Hamilton, since 1954.
The YWCA of Hamilton works for individual and community change by empowering women, especially young women, to develop and exercise their individual and collective leadership through enhancing their spiritual, physical, mental and cultural well-being. We are committed to addressing all forms of oppression, so that women may together attain social and economic justice.
Read about the history of our two buildings, which gained Historic Places Category II registration on April 30, 2010. They are Bishopscourt and the Chapel/Te Whare Wahine.
You can read our latest Annual Report here.
Co -Presidents: Charlotte Muggeridge (young woman) and Lucy Lloyd-Barker
Marilyn Castillo (Treasurer)
Jaime Macfie (intern, young woman)
The Board meets monthly, and we hold an Annual General Meeting in October of each year.
We are the winner in the Women in Governance Awards 2018 for Category 1 – Outstanding Pathway to Governance Leadership.
For names and contact info of our operational team, click here.
We gratefully acknowledge the following grants and donations made by our members, friends and other individual supporters.
Trust Waikato - Te Puna O Waikato
WEL Energy Trust
WDFF Karamu Trust
Tindall Foundation via Community Waikato
Len Reynolds Trust via Community Waikato
Sir John Logan Campbell Residuary Estate
Sky City Hamilton Community Trust
The Norah Howell Charitable Trust
Community Post Envelopes
Curnow Tizard – Registered Valuers – Analyst
Hamilton City Council – Multi Year Grant 2018-2021
The Page Charitable Trust
Department of Internal Affairs (DIA)
Lottery Grants Board
Community Organisation Grants Scheme (COGS)
Waikato Lyceum Charitable Trust