Our Hostel - 1957 - 2002
The Whanganui YWCA hostel was purchased at 48 Wicksteed Street in 1957 for two thousand, five hundred pounds (£2,500.00).
Some interesting facts about the hostel are:
- The hostel was always full in the early years
- Most residents were from out of town.
- The girls depending on age were allowed out of the hostel one night a week until 1am.
- From around mid 60’s, remaining nights had a 11pm curfew.
- In later years, the relevance of 11pm became the time for visitors to leave the hostel. The use of the telephone ceased until 8am.
The Hostel closed April 2002 and was sold due to changing social demographics and circumstances.